HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World (Do Not Love the World)
1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #418] Tue, 13 February 2018 21:09 Go to next message
hipm is currently offline  hipm
Administrator
1 John 2:15-17 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Re: 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #419 is a reply to message #418] Mon, 19 February 2018 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nakkajohnk is currently offline  Nakkajohnk
SCRIPTURE: Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. 1 John 2:15-17

OBSERVATION: My observation for this scripture portion is that Love for the world is loving the pleasures that give us the satisfaction for our flesh and not for the spirit. If we don't satisfy our spirit with the word of God and we certainly lose our soul to the world and the things in it. We can enjoy the things that are meant for our good according to the God's instructions(commandments). But if we go out of the instructions of our God(Father) and develop the sinful nature like lustful behavior of Satan, this will take us to the everlasting death or hell.
These scriptures are reminding us to abide by the commandments or instructions of God the Father to be away from lustful nature or not following the Satan alluring traps being fallen into sin.

APPLICATION: 1. I need to check whether my ways or my behavior in this world is lustful in nature

2. I need to check that am I following the instructions of the God the Father to correct my nature as and when I feel that I am falling into the trap of Satan.

PRAYER: Dear Heavenly father, please forgive my sins and correct me if any deviation in me of your word. AMEN

Re: 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #420 is a reply to message #418] Mon, 19 February 2018 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
SCRIPTURES :1 John 2:15-17 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

OBSERVATION :
The world is the system of things around us. The things which get our attention. The things that says "try me" and "do this". The world offers us fast, easy fixes for almost anything we want. The world offers us endless fun without having to consider the cost. The world offers us religions where we can pick and choose which parts we want to obey and still be right with God.It is easy to fall in love with the world because it looks good, sounds good, feels good, promises a lot, and always seems to want to work in our favor. It always has something new to offer to us

John tells us there are three things that cause us to love the world
1) the cravings we have which are our natural physical desires.
2) The lusting after that we see with our eyes.
3) The boasting of what we have done
The reality is, we have all craved, we have all coveted, and we have all boasted, and we have all demonstrated pride. But there is a price for going after each of these. What we go after can control us, it can divide us, and it can distract us from the things of God. All of them can lead to us falling love with something other than God.

Jesus has come to keep us from falling in love with the world. The only way it's not going to happen is for us to fall in love with Him. It's not enough to just know what's right and what's wrong. There has to be love for God that says, "You're going to be first in my life no matter what. Pleasing You is going to be far more important than pleasing anyone else, including myself. Falling in Love With Jesus, can save you from choosing to destroy yourself.

APPLICATION :
1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is true worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1-2

PRAYER :
Heavenly father, be with us and help us to overcome the temptation for the world.

Re: 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #421 is a reply to message #418] Tue, 20 February 2018 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balan is currently offline  balan
Scripture:
1 John 2:15-17 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Observation:
• It is interesting to know that we are living in the world, but we are not expected to love the world and the things in the world.
• God created the world, but John says, all that is in the world is not of the Father.
• The world is temporary, but the doing will of God is permanent.

The question is then why did God create us? Why did God create this world? Why does God expect us to living in this world, but not expect to love this world?

Looks like there is something went wrong in the whole plan of creating the world and creating us.

This shows the depraved nature of the world. The God who created the earth and gave to man to enjoy in Genesis 1 now says all that is in the world is not of the Father so don't love them because of what happened in Genesis 3.

We find the devil twisting the intended use of the things of this world to disobey God. Since then the inherent corrupted nature of men (ability to love & desire) is always trying to use the things of this world to disobey God.

For example,
• the use of media is good, but the devil has twisted the use of it
• the space technology is good, but man is trying to find residence in outer space
• the biological advancement is good, but man is trying to re-create life

Application:
God is saying, not to love the world because the love of the world takes us away from the love of the Father.

Prayer:
Lord help me not to love the world, but help me to do your will.
Re: 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #422 is a reply to message #418] Tue, 20 February 2018 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scripture:

Observation:

When I bought my first car, I thought I'll have it for a very long time. I took great care of it, did some expensive extra fittings like media system and so on.

After about three years, suddenly one day, we met with an accident when driving. God saved us, but not the car! It was a total damage.

Admit or not it's a bit of a challenge to avoid getting attracted to worldly luxury. Today, many of us claim, having a car is no longer a luxury but a necessity. Perhaps yes! The lesson however is are we ready at any moment to leave everything the world considers as wealth for the sake of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

Application:

I want be ready always for God. Can anything the world offers match Salvation? Not even close!

Prayer: Lord, blind my eyes to the world. Let your will be done. In Jesus name - Amen.
Re: 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #423 is a reply to message #418] Tue, 20 February 2018 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture

1 John 2:15-17 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world--

the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but

he who does the will of God abides forever.

Observation

If we love this world then we can not really love our god.God has created this world and men. We should love the ever living creator than the perishable creations.
If you just love worldly things then we eventually you are not bound by our God's love.

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve

both God and money.

We should keep away from the sins of the flesh, eyes, and pride which will enable us to do our God's will now and forever.

1 Timothy 6:10 New King James Version (NKJV)
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many

sorrows.

Application

Am I rushing behind this world and worldly things? or am I leading my life towards gods eternal kingdom?

Prayer

lord, we always look into you and your kingdom, not into these worldly things.
Re: 1 John 2:15-17 - Do Not Love the World [message #424 is a reply to message #418] Tue, 20 February 2018 19:26 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:
As Jesus said, we are not of this world just as He was but we are in this world (John 17:15) God wants us to enjoy his creations (non-living and living) but He wants us to worship Him alone who is the Creator of all things. Paul clearly mentioned in I Corinthians 7:31 that, those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it.

Nothing should supersede our Love for God. Jesus explained in Luke 14:26 that whoever loves father, mother, son, daughter or even spouse more than God is not worthy of Him.

Application:
We are of our father Lord, not of this world and also not of the devil as Jesus referred in John 8:44 (Murder, Pride and Lies) about the religious leaders. Just our Lord is meek and lowly in heart (Matt 11:29) we should learn of Him and be obedient to Father's will unto death.

We should not have anything in us that belong to either world (or) prince of the world. (John 14:30) Our life should be like Jesus Christ whom Prince of the World has no claim on Christ.

Prayer:
Lord, help us to shun all pleasures of Sin of the world and consider the reproach of Christ as greater wealth like Moses did. (Hebrews 11:25,26)
Previous Topic: 1 John 2:12-14
Next Topic: 1 John 2:18-19 Deceptions of the Last Hour
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:04:50 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07178 seconds