HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith (Overcome the World by Faith)
1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #594] Tue, 16 October 2018 22:01 Go to next message
hipm is currently offline  hipm
Administrator
1 John 5:4-5 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
Re: 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #595 is a reply to message #594] Mon, 22 October 2018 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nakkajohnk is currently offline  Nakkajohnk
SCRIPTURE: For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:4-5

OBSERVATION: My observation in this scripture reading is Whoever believes that Jesus is Christ is born of God. And the believing with faith in the Lord is Victory over the World and its beliefs. But the world didn't believe that Jesus is Christ. So whoever have faith that Jesus is the son of God has conquered the world.

APPLICATION: 1. If I have faith that Jesus is the son of God, I need to demonstrate his Love on Our fellow brethren.

2. If I believe the Jesus is Christ who came to the World to save me from the eternal hell, I need to proclaim the Gospel to save others from eternal hell.

PRAYER: Dear Heavenly father, please make me the instrument for proclaiming the Gospel to others to win the souls for you. AMEN
Re: 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #596 is a reply to message #594] Tue, 23 October 2018 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balan is currently offline  balan
Scripture:
1 John 5:4-5 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Observation:
Who is a Overcomer?
- a person who overcomes something
- one who succeeds in dealing with or gaining control of some problem or difficulty
- to overpower or take control over body or mind
- one who has the will power to say no to evil (sin)
Today the world is trying to achieve this control by various means such as drugs, alcohol, medication, yoga, self inflicted pain, etc.

John says, it is common to have problems, conflicts, troubles, temptations, misunderstandings, etc.
But as children of God, we don't look for solution the way world looks for.
We are children of God. Our Lord Jesus overcame sin, and even death and He rose victoriously. He said, "O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?" He was a conqueror. He has set a way for me to conquer the world.

How do we overcome?
1. believing Jesus is son of God (Acknowledging His authority)
2. being born of God (Submitting to His authority)
3. having faith (Trusting in Him for our situation)

Application:
My ability to overcome the world comes from the authority of Lord Jesus as I trust in Him for every situation of my life.

Prayer:
Lord help me to not to fall into temptation, but to overcome.
Re: 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #597 is a reply to message #594] Tue, 23 October 2018 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture
1 John 5:4-5
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith.
5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Observation

If we born of god then we do not hold our faith on others instead we hold on our lord Jesus Christ, that he is our refugee, comforter, counseller, care taker etc.
With that faith we can lead our life in this world. That faith will help us to over come this world. That faith will give us victory over this world.
When we believes Jesus Christ is son of god then we can proclaim our victory over this world and also able to set our path to get into heaven.

Application

We should make sure we are keep growing in our faith. That will help us to overcome this wicked world and lead our life in god.

Prayer

Lord God we want to grow in your faith day by day. With that faith we want to over come the this mortal world in our day to day life.
Re: 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #598 is a reply to message #594] Tue, 23 October 2018 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arul is currently offline  Arul
Scripture:
1 John 5:4,5
vs.4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh, even our faith (KJV)
vs 4. in Amplified Bible "For everyone born of God is victorious and overcometh the world; and this is the victory that has conquered and overcome the world - our faith"

vs 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the son of God ?

Observation:
Two parts in vs 4 comes to my attention a) Reference/ call-out of this direct object/ subject of interest - "whatsoever is born of God" and b) character of this direct object/ subject "overcometh the world". Vs 1 has answer to question a). Vs 1 says, whoever beliveth that Jesus is Christ (Savior/ Redeemer) is born of God.

For part b) question a little long discussion. Romans 5:10 Calls us as once being enemies of God,. Colossians 1:21 refers to us as once alienated and enemies in our mind by wicked works, yet now Christ as reconciled". I want to emphasis "enemies in our mind by wicked works". In John 15:19 Jesus said "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but ye are not of the world, I have chosen you out of the world"

So we overcame the world the first time when we accepted Jesus as our savior but this "overcoming" is a ongoing phenomenon as long we go back home to be with the Lord. Galatians 5:16 describes this ongoing battle between the flesh (world/ our sin nature) and the Spirit (Romans 8:11 The Spirit of Him that raised Jesus Christ from the dead dwells in us). So now we need to overcome the battle the flesh constantly presents through faith. While the salvation is secured our inner man need to be done away with and God's Spirit in us need to rule us. Galatians 2:20 Paul says I am crucified with Christ..the life I now live in the flesh is by faith in the Son of God. Romans 12: 1 Paul pleads to present our mortal bodies as living sacrifice (put down our self constantly and let the Spirit rule)

Want to finish with Revelation 21:7 "He that overcometh shall inherit all things: and I will be his God and he shall be My son"

Application: Lets our minds be renewed Romans 12:2 "Be transformed by the renewal of our minds" Reading and mediating His word, praying continually without ceasing, crucifying our fles and submitting to the Spirit of God's promptings and quite whispers. The quite whispers, the more we obey, becomes pronounced and it is very possible we can walk with God like Enoch did that God would be so pleased with us.

Evil thoughts we need to shun, dis-belief, anger, lust, jealousy, proud, hatred, judgmental to the point of condemning, arrogance, lying we need hate these and walk in the Spirit to produce fruits of the Spirit.

Prayer: Jesus thank you for bringing us into your fold and making us a overcomer. Help us die to the flesh and walk in Your Spirit to live a purposeful life. In Jesus strong name we pray. Amen
Re: 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #599 is a reply to message #594] Tue, 23 October 2018 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
[u]SCRIPTURES :

SCRIPTURES :

The foundational mark of an overcomer is one who believes that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah). To "believe" means to put one's trust and confidence in, to be convinced of, the truth. To believe in Jesus as "the Christ" means to trust him as God's Messiah, his unique Anointed One, and have faith in him. It means believing that Jesus of Nazareth was God's one and only Son and that he was anointed by God's Spirit to preach the gospel, heal the sick, raise the dead, die on the cross for sin, and rise from the dead to become the Savior.The continuing activity of believing proves that a person has been born of God
Continual faith is the result of the new birth, not its cause. Christians do not keep themselves born again by believing, and lose their salvation if they stop believing. On the contrary, it is their perseverance in the faith that gives evidence that they have been born of God.

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

APPLICATIONS :
We need to believe we are saved through faith and need to live according to his scriptures. Jesus already overcome the world for us and we don't need to fear anything. We just need to believe in him and obeying his commandments and live accordingly.

PRAYER : Heavenly Father, give us strength and knowledge to overcome this world and live according to your scriptures.
Re: 1 John 5:4-5 Overcome the World by Faith [message #600 is a reply to message #599] Tue, 23 October 2018 21:16 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Scripture I John 5:4-5
4) For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. 5) Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Observation:
World is related to ungodly affairs / influence of Satan / corrupt / very sin itself committed by its inhabitants

Psalm 14:2-3 talks about How Lord, looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand,[a] who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt;

Jesus explained How He is not of this World:
Jesus said to Pharisees and Scribes that "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins. [John 8:23-24]

Born of God restrains us from practicing sins:
I John 3:9 explains that "No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God".
Again Jesus refers Satan as "ruler of the world" and he has nothing in Jesus that belongs to the world [John 14:30]

Overcoming World:
Jesus explained to His disciples How he overcome the world in John 16: 32a-33
Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. [Faith of Christ] I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

Application:
we should be Keep trusting in the finished work of the Lord and His faithfulness in sanctifying us as recorded in
I Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

Prayer:
Lord, please help us in trusting your promise and being confident that He he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. [Philippians 1:6]
Previous Topic: 1 John 5:1-2
Next Topic: 1 John 5:7-8 Witness in heaven & Witness on earth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:34:22 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07561 seconds