HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience] (1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience])
1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience] [message #838] Tue, 10 March 2020 22:06 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge [a]puffs up, but love [b]edifies. 2 And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. 3 But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.

4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.

7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.

9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a [c]stumbling block to those who are weak. 10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? 11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
Re: 1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience] [message #839 is a reply to message #838] Tue, 24 March 2020 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:
1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience]

Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge [a]puffs up, but love [b]edifies. 2 And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. 3 But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.

4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.

7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.

9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a [c]stumbling block to those who are weak. 10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? 11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

Observation:
do not involve in any idol offering. it is one of the old testament laws.
Knowledge [a]puffs up, but love [b]edifies, so love is greater than knowledge.
if anyone thinks that he knows everything god do not like that but if one loves god he can experience gods love in return.
There are many gods but our god is greater, higher, name above all names. We should lift him up in all our acts.
we should understand and tell others about the triune nature of our god. Trinity is not three gods.
As others are watching over us we should be careful what we are doing, saying. If we say one and do other , people wont trust in us.

Application:
so do practice love in life , than knowledge among others
we should not involve in any kind of idol worshiping
we should not eat food offered to idols.
we have to honor christian values

Prayer:

Lord we never ever involve in any idol worshiping
Re: 1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience] [message #840 is a reply to message #838] Tue, 24 March 2020 21:01 Go to previous message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS:

Idolatry pervaded almost every aspect of Greek and Roman life. Their social contacts, their feasts, the administration of justice, public entertainment, the offices and honors of government, were all more or less connected with religious services. Christians, therefore, were constantly exposed to the danger of being involved in some idolatrous ritual or worship without even knowing it. This gave rise to numerous perplexing questions of conscience, which were often decided differently by different groups of Christians, and it is one of the factors that caused factions to spring up in the Corinthian Church.

orinth, like all Greek cities, was full of temples housing heathen idols. At their altars animals were constantly sacrificed, and the flesh of those animals was eaten afterwards. The question arose whether a Christian could eat such flesh without committing the sin of showing respect to an idol. The meat offered on pagan altars was usually divided up into three portions: one portion was burnt in honor of the god; one portion was given to the worshipper to take home and eat; and the third portion was given to the priest. If the priest didn't want to eat his portion, he sold it at the temple restaurant or meat market. The meat served and sold at the temple was generally cheaper; and then, as well as now, people loved a bargain (including Christians!). But the issue raises many questions: can we eat meat purchased at the temple meat market? Can a Christian eat at the restaurant at the pagan temple? What if we are served meat purchased at the temple meat market when we are guests in someone's home? Refusing to attend such gatherings would be like not attending weddings or other social functions today

The exhibition of your freedom is not supposed to lead others astray. There are other Christians who are weak in God and in the knowledge of the Word and they have little or no revelation so they don't know the full freedom in our Father. Jesus carefully and gently guided all who came to Him so that they will be strengthened. He also gave them knowledge through the Word so they grow and become vessels with revelation. Beloved let's be there for the weaker vessels and strengthen them to also enjoy thier lives in Christ and happily pass to the bosom of the Father at His appointed time.

APPLICATIONS:

Paul says elsewhere, 'It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby your brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak'- Romans 14:23
'Whatever is not of faith is sin' to the doubting brother (Romans 14:23) - and if I thus cause my brother to sin against his conscience, I am in fact sinning against Christ (1 Corinthians 8:12)!
Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians 7:25-40 (Unmarried and Widowed)
Next Topic: [1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:52:09 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08767 seconds