HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » [1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper ([1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper )
[1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper [message #873] Tue, 14 July 2020 22:07 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Conduct at the Lord's Supper
17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be [b]recognized among you. 20 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper. 21 For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame [c]those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

Institution of the Lord's Supper
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, [d]"Take, eat; this is My body which is [e]broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes.

Examine Yourself
27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and [f]blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks [g]in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the [h]Lord's body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many [i]sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.
Re: [1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper [message #874 is a reply to message #873] Tue, 21 July 2020 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATION:
The Lord's Supper reminds us that we participate with God through Jesus in our Christian walk but also with our fellow Christians.
Purpose of communion :
Remember the suffering and death of Jesus Christ-
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
Braking Bread - Unity
Self examination and confession -1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
Mat 3:8 Do those things that will show that you have turned from your sins
Look forward his Return -Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

APPLICATION::

We are all in One Body of Christ. Each one of us understand the real meaning of communion and live accordingly.
The Lord's Table is a table of triumph, and so as we partake today, let's do so with a joyful heart remembering what Jesus did for us upon the cross, as He took our place and died our death so that we can have eternal life with Him in heaven.
"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits -- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases" (Psalm 103:2-3 NIV)

Re: [1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper [message #876 is a reply to message #873] Tue, 21 July 2020 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:
- [1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper

Conduct at the Lord's Supper
17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be [b]recognized among you. 20 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper. 21 For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame [c]those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

Institution of the Lord's Supper
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, [d]"Take, eat; this is My body which is [e]broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes.

Examine Yourself
27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and [f]blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks [g]in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the [h]Lord's body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many [i]sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

Observation:
Paul talks about purpose of the communion and how to treat this union
Paul urges to come together as a church irrespective of all our differences mainly rich or poor. In god we all are equal.
We are not just sharing food but we are sharing love of jesus among us and take part of his body and blood as well as in his spirit.
We restore the oneness with jesus, that he is our head and we are the church as his body.
We proclaim the Lord's death and his resurrection at the cross. Communion proclaims the victory of christ over sin
Purpose of communion is to remember jesus and his sacrifice to mankind.
also examine ourselves declare your sins- if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. And when you neglect there is sertious consiquences

Application:
we should come together as a body of christ and partake in lords supper
We should understabd the importance and neccessity of this communion
we should not par take in communion in an unworthy manner
we should encourage fellow bretherns to take part in communion

Prayer:

Lord god we have to partake in your supper with our full conscience in remembrance of you.
Re: [1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper [message #877 is a reply to message #876] Tue, 21 July 2020 21:40 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:

1) Passover Supper
Our Jesus Christ instituted Lord's supper to eat the Passover dinner. Also, this helps us to remember the suffering of our Lord as an unblemished sacrificial lamb for our sins.
Just like Israel celebrates Passover as their redemption from the bondage of Egypt, we as the children of God, revered this supper to remember our redemption of Sin.

2) Selfish Recognition and Division
Instead of doing this in remembrance of our Lord, Corinthians treated this as a regular supper and use this to promote their selfish recognition. Also, the divisions among them needs to be addressed and do everything in church as one body in unison.

3) Self Judgement
This will give us an opportunity to self judge and reconcile with our Lord before we partake in Lord's communion.

Application:
This communion is one thing that Jesus himself called us to remember his sacrifice and very much similar to 3 major Jewish festivals in Passover, feast of weeks / Pentecost and feast of tabernacles.
We should participate it with full reverence similar to How Jews honor those holidays (or) else they should be cut off from being called an Israeli.
Jesus also mentioned that in Matthew 26:29 like "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom.". So Jesus is also looking forward to have this again with all the believers and we should also look forward for His return when we participate in Lord's supper.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, thanks for instituting this Lord's supper and the blessings that come with it.
Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings
Next Topic: 1 Corinthians 12 [Unity and Diversity in One Body]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:21:00 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.61302 seconds