HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 john 2:3-5 (The Test of Knowing Him)
1 john 2:3-5 [message #397] Thu, 25 January 2018 08:32 Go to next message
hipm is currently offline  hipm
Administrator
1 john 2:3-5 3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
Re: 1 john 2:3-5 [message #398 is a reply to message #397] Mon, 29 January 2018 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
SCRIPTURES:
1 john 2:3-5 3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
OBSERVATIONS:
John writes that "we" (Christians those who have come to know Christ through faith) can be SURE (having feelings of complete certainty with no hesitation) that we know him (Christ) if we obey his commands.

Obey: John lays the importance of following the commands of God with complete compliance. His stress is not fully in the mind but more in the behavior of the Christian. The church should have complete compliance to God's Word so that they would experience the fellowship with God.

His: As often in John's usage, the word "Him" might refer either to God or to Christ. For John, Jesus is so closely linked with the Father that a precise distinction between the Persons of the Godhead sometimes seems irrelevant. To know Jesus is to know God and to know God is to know Jesus.

Commandments: The commandments are ultimately referring back to the 'ten words' written down by God by the divine voice from Sinai in the hearing of all Israel (Ex. 19:1620:17). Afterwards, they were TWICE written by the finger of God on both sides of two tables of stone (Ex. 31:18; 32:1516; 34:1, 28; Dt. 10:4). Moses shattered the first pair, symbolizing Israel's breaking of the covenant by the sin of the golden calf (Ex. 32:19). The second pair were deposited in the ark (Ex. 25:16; 40:20).

"Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." John 14:23

APPLICATIONS:
What John's words mean to us today is that someone may profess a fellowship with God but the true test of a man's knowledge of God resides in the life he lives. This has two applications for us today.If you claim to know God and do not keep His commands you are a liar. A man who knows God keeps his commands. John even went a step further and said that the man who does not keep the commands of God is a man in which the "truth is not in him". The idea is similar to the statements John already made in chapter 1:6, 8, and 10. In such a person the truth is not a dynamic, controlling influence. He is seriously out of touch with spiritual reality.

PRAYER:

Heavenly Father, help us to follow and obey your commandments. give us more strength to overcome our sin and fellowship with God.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2018 21:24] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: 1 john 2:3-5 [message #399 is a reply to message #397] Tue, 30 January 2018 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balan is currently offline  balan
Scripture:

Observation:
Knowing Him
We say that we know our God, we follow our God and we have fellowship with God. Knowing God is intellectual and spiritual. How does someone know that we know our God? People around us realize that we know God when they see us keeping His commandments.
For example, the command says, do not be conformed to this world. If people around us see us following the pattern of this world, we become liars. How vain and superficial our knowledge is if we pretend Godly, but no evidence of obedience.
Being found in Him
Knowing God is one thing, but being found in Him is another thing. We are chosen to be holy, blameless, redeemed and sanctified. But without keeping ourselves Holy, we cannot experience God's love to the fullest. God's love in us cannot be perfected without the practical observance of His Word.
On the other hand, we can't even love God if our life is not in line with God's Word. We need to be found in order to be taken into heaven when He comes. To be found in Him requires us to keep His Word.
Walking like Him
Lord Jesus when He walked on the face of this earth, all the words he spoke inhabited in Him. Because He himself is the Word. That means, What He spoke was what He lived. When our Words say the we abide (obey, observe, acknowledge, respect) in Christ, we are expected to walk the way He walked. We are expected to walk according to all His teachings that inhabited in Him.

Application:
We are expected to know Him, to be found in Him and to walk like Him. Word becoming flesh and walking as human lives.

Prayer:
Lord help me to know him, to be found in Him and to walk like Him
Re: 1 john 2:3-5 [message #400 is a reply to message #397] Tue, 30 January 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:

1 john 2:3-5 3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not

keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is

perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He

walked.

Observation:

1 John 3
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave

use commandment.

we should believe in Jesus and love one another to show our faith and love.

1 John 3
22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His

sight.

we get please from his sight and we receive whatever we ask in his name.

1 John 3
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit

whom He has given us.

also holy spirit live within us and help us to lead our life on this face of earth.

Application:

Do I believe in Jesus in every moment of my life?
Am I representing jesus love to others?
Do I get grace from gods sight?
Are I sure holy spirit is leading my life?

Prayer:

Lord help us to keep your commandments in our life also your love in our hearts.
icon1.gif  Re: 1 john 2:3-5 [message #401 is a reply to message #397] Tue, 30 January 2018 20:33 Go to previous message
Jacob is currently offline  Jacob
Scripture:
By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
1 John 2:3-5

Observations:
Knowing God means
1. Obeying his commandments
2. Free from sin
3. Following Jesus

If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth (Jesus), and the truth will set you free. John 8: 31-32

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, John 10: 14

Application:
Am I obeying the commandments
Am I free from sin

Prayer:
Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Previous Topic: 1 John 2:1-2
Next Topic: 1 John 2:9-11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:29:03 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06342 seconds