HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 John 2:9-11 (One who hates his brother is in darkness)
1 John 2:9-11 [message #402] Tue, 30 January 2018 21:55 Go to next message
hipm is currently offline  hipm
Administrator
1 John 2:9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #403 is a reply to message #402] Mon, 05 February 2018 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:

1 John 2:9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother

abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks

in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Observation:

God is light, so if one says he is in the light he should possess the characteristics of our god. The first best character

of our god is love. so we should love others and we should be lovable by others.

If you love others first you suppose to love your parents and sibilings. If we do not love your father and brother then how

can we able to love others? thats is not true love. we should love our parents and sibilings as in bible and also extend our love to others.

If one do not love his brother then he is not under light means not under the influence of our god, instead he is under the influence of darkness.

1 Timothy 5:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is

worse than an unbeliever.

Application:

Do I love my house hold as per bible?

Am I willing to extend my love and care to others ?

Prayer:

Lord give us the spirit of brotherhood and we want to be part of your church.
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #404 is a reply to message #402] Mon, 05 February 2018 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nakkajohnk is currently offline  Nakkajohnk
SCRIPTURE: He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
1 John 2:9

OBSERVATION: My observation in this scripture reading is that the believers of Christ are considered as brothers in Christ. If we say that we walk in the light(Jesus) and do not love one another in fellowship as brothers, we still didn't understand what is light but still in the darkness(sin). We should reflect the light to the world, as we are the followers of Christ we must show love to one another as Christ did. If we are true followers of Christ, Jesus Christ lives in us, we don't fall in darkness(sin) And he leads us in the right path without any confusion. Even though our fellow brothers don't show love to us, we need to possess the fruit of the spirit and walk with them to reflect the nature of our Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:22-23 New International Version (NIV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

APPLICATION: 1. Always show the love to our fellow brothers as Christ did.

PRAYER: Dear Heavenly father, give your grace to live a life that reflects your love to lead others to the light. AMEN
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #405 is a reply to message #402] Mon, 05 February 2018 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
SCRIPTURES:

1 John 2:9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

OBSERVATION:

Jn 2:9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. - Interesting point here. John does not bring up love but hate, or the lack of love. This says that if you testify that you are in the light and do not love your brother, you are still living in darkness.This is a test. Are you walking in the light? You cannot hate your brother and be walking in the light. You cannot "not love" your brother and be walking in the light.

Jn 2:10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling.- By walking in God's light--thus also loving our fellow Christians--we won't cause ourselves to stumble and fall in this walk, but neither will we lead others to fall also. When do we stumble? When are we most likely to stumble? When we are offended. Tired. Angry. Depressed. In the worse mental state. What can protect us from saying something or doing something harmful when we are in the worse emotional state? Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling.

Jn 2:11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. - Just as dangerous as the false teaching that was attacking the Church from without was the lack of love that was destroying them from within. This passage indicates that the person in darkness does not know what his actions are doing. Blindness prevents one seeing the true nature of their actions, as does darkness.Darkness is a light problem. Blindness is an eye problem. If you walk in darkness for long enough, you will have eye problems. And you will be the last person to know it.
No one had every seen God's love demonstrated in such an incredible, sacrificial, and wonderful way before Jesus Christ went to the cross.

APPLICATION :

Man has always felt free to mistreat others, especially those who had mistreated him. He has felt free to...Hate, ignore, be unkind, strike back, neglect, backbite, hurt, criticize, or retaliate.Love is MORE than just a warm, fuzzy FEELING ... it is a COMMANDMENT from God. If it is COMMANDED, that makes LOVE a CHOICE ... an act of OBEDIENCE. It's not just an EMOTION ... it's an OBLIGATION we have to God.If we have a commandment to love, and love is harder as the lawlessness of the world grows.....Then the light of our love should appear to burn brighter in a dark, hateful world.

PRAYER : Heavenly Father please give us good heart to forgive and love one another.As we are Body of Christ, we should be united and show love to fellow bothers. Be with us and guide us in your way.
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #406 is a reply to message #402] Mon, 05 February 2018 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scripture:

Observation:

I certainly have trouble loving all my fellow humans all the time. A teeny weeny dissatisfaction we find in a friend/relative/colleague can grow into an ocean of irreparable hatred towards that person, believe it or not! In essence, I don't think this Scripture talks about a certain man who hates/hated his brother, it talks about me.

Application:

Imagine, I hate one of my fellow humans, and I try to cover this up to avoid social disapproval. How long can I do that? Now, what if I take the whote theme of this scripture portion and apply! I can truly love people! Just the way Jesus loved!! Isn't this amazing!?

That, I want to apply. And I do but fail at times but never give up. Whenever hatred comes in the form of darkness we need to lighten up the blazing fire of faith to keep our hearts bright so that we always love our brothers. Because if we take darkness for granted and continue, the destiny is bottomless pit.

Prayer:

Lord, give me the desire to always love my bretheren regardless of the situation. Take away the slack that lingers; let your spirit guide us. In Jesus name. Amen
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #407 is a reply to message #402] Tue, 06 February 2018 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balan is currently offline  balan
Scripture:

Observation:
What darkness does?
1.Darkness makes one stumble
2.People who walk in darkness do not know where they are going
3.Darkness blinds our eyes
Who is in the darkness?
He who says, he is in the light that means John is talking about believers. Unbeliever is not in the light.
One who hates his brother. I am sure the term brother includes not only our siblings, but also other believers. Brother means one who is in the same spiritual state as we are. Again fellow believers.
What is the implication?
This spiritual darkness is going to cause eternal danger. One who hates fellow brother, is in eternal danger.
1.Spiritual life stumbles, that means one day he/she stands and another day he/she falls
2.Even though such people are believers, their destiny is in question as they don't know where they are going they think they are spiritual, Godly, going to heaven, but are in danger of going to hell
3.Spiritually they are blinded, that means God's work in their lives is stopped. Word of God doesn't enter, God's presence doesn't touch them, conscience is blunt (not sharp) and no more hesitating to sin.

Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

Application:
I need to love our fellow believers. I can't hate anyone. I need to be submissive and kind hearted. I can't say that I am perfect in front of God hating our brother. If I do that I deceive my self.
Prayer:
Lord help me to love my fellow believers.
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #408 is a reply to message #402] Tue, 06 February 2018 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Scripture: 1 John 2:9-11 English Standard Version (ESV)

9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him[a] there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Observation:
If we walk in light, as Our Lord is in the light, we have fellowship with one another (not hate one another as in I John 1:7). Brother is the one who is part of God's family and who does the will of father God. (Mark 3:35)
Elder brother is one who forgives his brother more than seventy-seven times (Matthew 18:22). Brothers should always reconcile with their fellow brothers and also not to get angry Which leads to judgement from God. (Matthew 5:22-24)
Mature brother is one who loves his neighbour even as himself. That is shown in the parable of good Samaritan and the Love he showed towards the stranger who was in need.(Luke 10:25-37) Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares (Hebrews 13:2)
Godly brother is one who who loves their enemies just like Christ loved us while we were yet sinners and rebelled against Him. (Matthew 5:44)

Application:
Finally, Our relationship with our Lord determines our relationship with our fellow beings. Love the Lord with your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. You shall love your neighbour as yourself (Matthew 22:37-40)
Judgement is Lord's and we shall speak evil against one another (James 4:10-14).
Also, James 3:9 states that: With our Mouth we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.
Loving people doesn't mean that we agree with their words and actions. We should not be outwitted by satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes. (II Corinthians 2:11) But Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." (Matthew 16:22-24)

Prayer:
Lord, help us to show your love to others as you have loved us. Provide us the Spirit of discernment and wisdom to understand the schemes of Satan through the people.
Re: 1 John 2:9-11 [message #409 is a reply to message #402] Tue, 06 February 2018 20:44 Go to previous message
Jacob is currently offline  Jacob
Scripture:
Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him[b] there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. 1 John 2:3-5

Observations:
I am the way and the truth and the life John 14:60

Self-check - Are we in Christ?

Loving his brother - Loving his brother/neighbour/ other believers

Walking in the darkness - Not following word of God, not guided by Holy Spirit

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105

But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; John 16:13

Application:
Do I love my brothers/sisters/neighbours/other believers?

Am I following the Word of God?

Prayer:
Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Previous Topic: 1 john 2:3-5
Next Topic: 1 John 2:12-14
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:46:05 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11934 seconds