HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 John 4: 20-21 (Love in obedience)
1 John 4: 20-21 [message #581] Tue, 02 October 2018 21:50 Go to next message
hipm is currently offline  hipm
Administrator
1 John 4: 20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, [d]how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
Re: 1 John 4: 20-21 [message #582 is a reply to message #581] Tue, 09 October 2018 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balan is currently offline  balan
Scripture:
1 John 4: 20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
Observation:
"Charity begins at home" is a proverb that expresses the overriding demands of taking care of one's family, before caring for others.
Love must begin at home loving the family members we see every day. Not loving our family members, but loving God is almost impossible. If we try to do that, our love towards God becomes fake or hypocrisy (false appearance).

It becomes sinful to love God and hate our brother. The great commandment doesn't work in full if we don't love our brother. Its failing to fulfill the commandment.

Brother is used to refer our own brother who is born to our parents. Our cousin brothers, then the brothers in Christ. Also extends to the future brothers who are not yet brothers in Christ. Again its not just brothers, it includes both the genders.

Application:

I must love people whom I see everyday to love God. We can't avoid people and have good relationship with God.

Prayer:
Lord help me to love people unconditionally the same way you love me.
Re: 1 John 4: 20-21 [message #583 is a reply to message #581] Tue, 09 October 2018 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture
1 John 4:
20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, [d]how can he love God whom he has not seen?
21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

Observation
If we follow god we should have his love within us. If we have his love in us we suppose to love our brothers and sisters as he loves everyone.
If one does not love his brother, then it is impossible for him to love the unseen god.
Love others as like you is gods prime commandment. So love god and love others.

Application

We should love god. We should love our brothers and sisters. We also extend our love to others other than our family. This is the way to obey our god and show our gods love to others.

Prayer

Lord enable us and keep us in your unconditional love. I love you lord aswellas I love my brothers and sisters through out my life.
Re: 1 John 4: 20-21 [message #584 is a reply to message #581] Tue, 09 October 2018 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jacob is currently offline  Jacob
Scripture:
Love in obedience (1 John 4:20-21)

1 John 4: 20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, [d]how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

Observations:
Liar - lying before God, the main reason for hatred is unforgiveness.
(And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Matthew 6:12)

he who loves God must love his brother also.----
Loving God means to obey His Word, and His Word is not hard to obey. (1 John 5:3)

Application:
Did i forgive my brothers/sisters/friends/relatives?

Am I obeying God?

Prayer:
Dear Lord, Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Re: 1 John 4: 20-21 [message #585 is a reply to message #581] Tue, 09 October 2018 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scripture:

Observation:

If I check myself in front of this commandment, I fall short. Not just fall short but consciously and thoroughly fall short. At times even when I realize the fault is on my side in an argument or in a disagreeing situation, I don't allow the involved counter party to forgive me. Flesh is unbelievably sinful and egoistic! We may feel or think confidently that we can overcome this state. But if it's so easy to avoid hatred on people, God would not have wasted his time, resources and eventually Himself where His only message right from Genesis with Cain and Abel's story all the way to the Revelation is to love one another!

Application and Prayer:

Oh Heavenly Father. Let us love one another and do nothing else! In Jesus Name we pray. Amen.
Re: 1 John 4: 20-21 [message #586 is a reply to message #581] Tue, 09 October 2018 21:18 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Scripture: (I John 4:20,21)
If anyone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot[a] love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

Observation:
When James mentioned in his letter about blessing and curse through our tongue, "With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God," [James 3:9-11], Similarly, Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?

Jesus also said in Matt 12:33/ Matt 7:18, about how tree whether good or bad will be known by its fruit.

God's love is selfless, sacrificial and un-conditional. Hence if we love God with the same kind of love, we should be extending that love towards other humans.
If we can love brothers who we can see with godly (Agape) love, then we can definitely love God. As Christ told to the righteous during judgement in Matt 25:34-40, Then the Righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? ' Truly, i say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did to me.

Application:
Agape love should be rendered to anyone without any partiality like our Lord, who desires everyone to be saved [I Timothy 2:4] eventhough all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Prayer:
Lord please help us to love everyone with your love
Previous Topic: 1 John 4:18 No fear in Love
Next Topic: 1 John 5:1-2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:37:00 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04344 seconds