HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) ((Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes))
Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) [message #685] Tue, 19 February 2019 22:01 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven
Re: Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) [message #686 is a reply to message #685] Mon, 25 February 2019 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nakkajohnk is currently offline  Nakkajohnk
SCRIPTURE: For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven

Matthew 5:20

OBSERVATION: This scripture talks about the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees and the Kingdom of heaven.

1. Righteousness of scribes and pharisees is that they only have the law and their focus is to point out the people who are not following the Law. They are hypocrites.

We should not be like them and we need to follow Jesus and should be like him.

APPLICATION: 1. I need to follow Jesus and his teachings. I need to come out of my sins by repenting of what my sinful life.

From then on Jesus began to preach, "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near. Matthew 4:17

I need to repent and turn to God and be righteous to be eligible for the Kingdom of heaven.

PRAYER: Dear Heavenly father, Please help me to understand the righteousness and to live a life that is acceptable to enter into the Kingdom of heaven. AMEN

Re: Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) [message #687 is a reply to message #685] Tue, 26 February 2019 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture

Matthew 5:20

For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Observation

in Matthew 23, Jesus Woe to the Scribes and Pharisees

Scribes and Pharisees did not follow the commandments in their life. But they preach the commandments to the people and asked them to follow.

They burden the people with man made laws. They love worlds possessions. They are hypocrites.

But we children of Christ should not be like Scribes and Pharisees.

Jesus Christ is our teacher and father. we should not give that place to anyone else.

we should not be hypocrites. Others may not know about our life but our god knows everything and he is watching us.

We have to lead other fellow followers. We should be model for other fellow believers.

Application

We should keep gods commandments in our life.
We should build our trust in Christ and not on others.

Prayer

Lord god help us to live a righteous life in this world to enter into your kingdom.
Re: Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) [message #688 is a reply to message #685] Tue, 26 February 2019 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
SCRIPTURE:

For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven - Matthew 5:20

- Jesus was giving sermon to disciples and the crowds
- Jesus is teaching the importance of righteousness

OBSERVATIONS

Scribes and Pharisees - They are the one teaching and explaining the law. They were the great authorities on the law of God.

The Pharisees and the teachers of the Law are experts in the Law of Moses. 3 So obey everything they teach you, but don't do as they do. After all, they say one thing and do something else.They pile heavy burdens on people's shoulders and won't lift a finger to help. 5 Everything they do is just to show off in front of others. They even make a big show of wearing Scripture verses on their foreheads and arms, and they wear big tassels[a] for everyone to see. 6 They love the best seats at banquets and the front seats in the meeting places- Mathew 23:2-6

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to" (Matthew 23:13)

We should be careful on whom do we follow?
Are they speaking according to scripture?
Are they living according to Bible?

Instead of following somebody we should be living according to word of God. Our righteousness should exceed them in order to enter the Kingdom of God.

APPLICATION
Is our religious all show? - When we worship God, it should be God centered worship. He is worthy for all our worship.
Do we show love to others? - We have to show love to others and help them when they are in need.
We can surpass the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees! Not on our own never on our own but by grace God grants and credits to us the righteousness of Christ Himself!

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, Help us to obey and live according to your scriptures. Your name should be glorified and exalted all the time. You are worthy for all our praises and worship. Amen
Re: Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) [message #689 is a reply to message #688] Tue, 26 February 2019 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Scripture: Matthew 5:20

For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Here, Jesus spoke to his disciples about new covenant christian life style without lowering the influence of old testament commandments.

In this verse, Jesus confronts self-righteous religious people than any outsiders who have pride and prejudice towards others. They had a greater calling and responsibility towards leading people in Judaism.

Observation:
Over the period of time religious leaders including temple priests took pride in converting others in Judaism and teaching them the so-called way of the life.

In Matthew chapter 23, Lord talks about seven woes to scribes and pharisees. [For you travel across sea and land to make a single convert / proselyte and make him twice as much a child of hell]

Scribes and Pharisees could not able to influence people because whatever they tell others, they themselves don't do. But they always did live a life of outward exult. [Hypocrisy]
Jesus infact asked us to do and observe whatever they tell us.

Qualification of deacons and elders were being listed in I Timothy 3 and Titus 1. [Above reproach / blameless]

In another occasion, Jesus mentioned that if any one want the place of honor, he must serve. Whoever wants to become great we must be the servants. [Mark 9:35 / 10:43]

Application:
We have to be very careful in showing our deeds in front of God and human since Christian Life comes out of heart [Spirit] transformation.
New covenant life style deals with the root of Sin and gave Lord's abundant grace to overcome Sin and its desire even though the standards are very high [Christ like] when compared to old testament commandments.

James in chapter 3 warned us that those who teach others will be judged with greater strictness.

Prayer:
Lord, please help me to live a life modeled after Your very own. [both inwardly and outwardly]
Re: Matthew 5:20 (Righteousness of Pharisees & Scribes) [message #690 is a reply to message #689] Tue, 26 February 2019 21:14 Go to previous message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
Scripture
For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven Mathew 5:23

Observation
Scribes and Pharisees primarily followed the Law strictly so their righteousness is completely based on the Law given by Moses. So here Jesus is stating that of our
righteousness does not exceed that given by law then we will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
If we look at entire Chapter 5 of Mathew we could see Jesus is setting new standard for each of the commandment given in Law. So he wants to address the Root cause of
the sin instead of just look at the result of the sin. For example Do Not murder is the Law but God is saying control your anger which will ultimately result in Murder.
In mathew 23 we clearly see Jesus point blank in addressing the Pharisees on how they are missing the main point instead they were showing externally.

23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
25 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.
27 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Application
God i may be reading the Bible and knowing the in and out of it but if i'm not following it truly then i know i will be missed out from your kingdom.
I don't want to be just reader of the Bible but a doer as well

Prayer
Help me to follow the Bible and your commandements with truth. Help me not to become hypocrite but follow you in truth
Previous Topic: Matthew 6:9-13 (Way of Prayer - NASB)
Next Topic: II Peter 1:3-4 (Partakers of Divine nature)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:17:15 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04231 seconds