HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church] (1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church])
1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church] [message #811] Tue, 14 January 2020 16:17 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Sexual Immorality Defiles the Church
5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. 2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.

3 For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. 4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.[a]

6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8 Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler--not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[b] whom you are to judge? 13 God judges[c] those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."
Re: 1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church] [message #812 is a reply to message #811] Tue, 14 January 2020 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:

1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church]
5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. 2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.

3 For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. 4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.[a]

6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8 Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler--not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church[b] whom you are to judge? 13 God judges[c] those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."

Observation:
Paul talks about sexual immorality, pride, boasting nature of corinthians. Paul divides as insiders and outsiders.
People involve is sexual immorality should be removed from the church.
Instead of flesh we should aware of happenings by spirit. The holy spirit will guide us.
As leaven multiply and increase the dough, unnoticed evil things can grow up and destroy our lives. We should be careful enough to lead a clean life.
Don't judge others just because of their external actions but by their internal
If any insiders involved in immorality they need to removed from the church. They corrupt others also. We can not explicitly allow sins should exist inside the church.
But we can not disconnect from outsiders because we need to bring the gospel to them. Christ hates their sins not them. We also do the same.

Application:

God never tolerates sexual immorality inside the church, Do not associate with sexually immoral people
Holy spirit instruct us about our sins
we should not boast ourselves
Don't judge others, God will take care of that.

Prayer:

Lord keep us and our church away from immoralities.
Re: 1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church] [message #813 is a reply to message #811] Tue, 14 January 2020 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS :

There was sexual immorality in the church at Corinth. A man was either married to or living with his step-mother. He was known in the church and known in the community. His sin was public. They were boasting that this man was a prominent and important man. Paul said to turn his evil ways over to Satan, maybe even excommunicate him from the church if needed and pray that he will realize the error of his ways, repent, and return to God.But this church was prideful in the fact that certain community leaders belonged to its fellowship. So the church was boasting. Again, they weren't boasting in the sin of the man. They were boasting in the man himself; his place in society as a leader, the money he gave to the church, his leadership, etc. They took pride in the man even though they knew about his sin.

So the church needs to purge out the sin. You see, believers are new creations. The picture here is of a Jewish Passover Feast. The Jewish family was required by law to remove all yeast out of the house before celebrating the Passover. They were even required to light candles and search throughout the house for crumbs of yeast that might have fallen on the floor and under tables and other furniture. It was symbolic of the people purging the corrupting influence of sin out of their lives. So Paul says "that you may be a new batch without yeast

Jesus was sacrificed for us and the church. His death was symbolized by the sacrificial lamb at the Passover. So we must purge and remove the yeast, the sin, out of our lives. If we allow the old yeast, the old sin in our lives and churches, it shows that we have little interest in a clean and pure life. Paul's warning is to the point.

APPLICATION :

- Don't get mixed up with the immoral people of this world
-Don't get mixed up with the greedy of this world
- Don't get mixed up with the swindlers
-Don't get mixed up with the idolaters.
- Church should take action if any believers involving in sexual immoralities.
Re: 1 Corinthians 5 [Immorality in Church] [message #814 is a reply to message #813] Tue, 28 January 2020 21:11 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Scripture: [1 Corinthians 5]

5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. 2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.......

Observation:
1) Godly discipline using Spiritual Insight
Paul exercices his authority as Spiritual father towards the sinful sexual acts in the church. Through his spiritual discernment he was able to identify the sinner and also able to discipline the person through power of the Lord Jesus.
1 Corinthians 5:4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord
Similar to this, we have an incident in 2 Kings :26, where Elisha questioning the action of Gehazi, "But he said to him, "Did not my heart go when the man turned from his chariot to meet you? Was it a time to accept money and garments, olive orchards and vineyards, sheep and oxen, male servants and female servants? 27 Therefore the leprosy of Naaman shall cling to you and to your descendants forever."
Also, Peter through the Holy Spirit was able to identify the lies of Satan in Ananias and Sapphira and pronounced judgement on them. [Acts 5:1-10]
2) Judging the church believers
Jesus is full of grace and truth [John 1:14] and hence we ought to follow him to be filled with grace and truth. We have to purge all the evil and malice among the believers in the church to pursue godly life style. As in James 5:16, we also have to confess our sins to one another and pray for one another, that we may be healed.
Paul addressed believers not to associate with so called believers but who practiced sexual immorality, idolatory and greediness. Even John also addressed this issue in his letter to III John in 9, I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. 10, So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us.

Application:
As a disciple of Jesus Christ, we have to exercise our spiritual authority over them whom God has assigned either in the house (or) in the ministry so that God's name be magnified. We have to use the Spiritual discernment to discipline the person who are wavering from the truth with God's love.

Prayer:
Lord, help us to judge ourselves before we discern other brothers and sisters in Christ.
Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians 4:14-21 [Heart of an Apostle]
Next Topic: 1 Corinthians 6:1-11 [Lawsuits Against Believers]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:48:04 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07380 seconds