HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] (1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage])
1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] [message #824] Tue, 11 February 2020 22:02 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman." 2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. 3 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

6 Now as a concession, not a command, I say this.[a] 7 I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. 9 But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband 11 (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you[b] to peace. 16 For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
Re: 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] [message #825 is a reply to message #824] Tue, 25 February 2020 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:
1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage]
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman." 2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. 3 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

6 Now as a concession, not a command, I say this.[a] 7 I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. 9 But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband 11 (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you[b] to peace. 16 For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Observation:
Man or woman has to marry because it is not good to get into temptation which will lead to sexual immorality.
husband and wife have rights over others.they do not have authority over their own body.
God wants us to live together as a family with children so do not get separated for any reason.
If we have an issue we should resolve it and reconcile with one another.
Believer's has a great responsibility to convert his spouse through their life. They can make their spouse holy.

Mark 10:6-9 New International Version (NIV)
6 "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'[a] 7 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] 8 and the two will become one flesh.'[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."

Application:
Restrain from sexual immorality
husband has authority over his wife and vice versa
never get separated
spouse make sure that their partner and children are believers
God has called husband and wife to be peaceful to each other
In our family life, we should spend quality time for our god in meditating and prayer

Prayer:
Lord gives us self control to get rid of temptation.
Help us to live as a family with your peace.
Re: 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] [message #826 is a reply to message #824] Tue, 25 February 2020 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS:

Corinth was one of the largest cities in the Roman world and one of the most corrupt (Acts 18:1). Full of false teachers, immature believers and people of all kind of ideas, the Christians in Corinth got into a lot of difficult situations considering Marriage. Paul challenged believers in Corinth to bring glory to God regardless of their marital status.
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. - Hebrews 13-4
Jesus states: "marriage was to be permanent." Divorce was granted because of the hardness of the hearts of the people of Israel. Jesus said: "Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so,"

Guidelines for single Christians 7:8-9
Guidelines for Christian Married Christians (7:10-11)
Guidelines for Christians married to non-Christians who want to stay married(7:12-14)
Guidelines for Christians married to non-Christians who do not want to stay married (7:15-16)

God's Intent"
1. Marriage is good
2.Marriage is between one man and one woman
3.Marriage protects against the temptations of immorality
4.Marriage is permanent

APPLICATIONS:
In our Marriage life we should have boundaries and Guardrails and individuals should take responsibility to keep boundaries. We need to obey the word of God and live accordingly.Knowing the great value of marriage, we must work hard to preserve what God has so clearly given to us in Scripture. Let us affirm in word and deed the principles of marriage that Paul gave to us in our lesson for today.

Re: 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] [message #827 is a reply to message #826] Tue, 25 February 2020 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
Observation
Paul is very transparent and clear about one should not be having sexual relationship with other woman than one's wife. This is exactly opposite to what this world is going through right now so we should be very careful and clear in our act.
We always think that we have authority over oursef but for Married people verse 4 clearly shows only our spouse have the authority over our body. Paul talks clearly about the human psychology that even though we are Godly people we need to be connected with our spouse all the time and not staying away for longer time.
Even if one's spouse is a unbeleiver that should not be reason for parting from his/her spouse.

Application
What i want my wife to do to me i need to do the same thing to my wife. In no way one is higher than another so we need to respect each other.

Prayer
Lord help me to stay away from immorality. Help me to love my spouse as Christ loved the church

Re: 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] [message #828 is a reply to message #826] Tue, 25 February 2020 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:

1) Importance of Marriage in the sight of God [verse 1-5]
Our Lord created the institution of marriage. When He created man in his own image, male and female He created them. [Genesis 1:27] God even said , "It is not good that the man should be alone and he made a helper fit for him, Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. [Genesis 2:18,24]
God likes the oneness between His children and especially with the couple Lord unites them with His Spirit. [Malachi 2:15 - Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring.

2) Transforming the Marriage partner [verse 14-16]
While Israel was yet a sinful nation, our Lord loved her with an everlasting love. The believing husband [Lord] made the sinful bride [Israel] Holy. [Isaiah 54:5] For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called. Also it is mentioned in Jeremiah 31:22, 23 like How long will you wander, O faithless daughter? For the LORD has created a new thing in the land--a woman will shelter a man." This is what the LORD of Hosts, the God of Israel, says: "When I restore them from captivity, they will once again speak this word in the land of Judah and in its cities: 'May the LORD bless you, O righteous dwelling place, O holy mountain.'

Application:

Marriage always teach us spiritual lesson of unity, acceptance, love, patience, forbearance, self-control and humility. When Enoch became the father of Methuselah, he walked with God for 300 years. [Genesis 5:21-23]

Also, God can call some to be single and be devoted to Him without worrying about family just like John the Baptist, Christ and probably Paul himself. [Matthew 19:10-12], The disciples said to him, "If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry." 11 But he said to them, "Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given

Irrespective of marital status, God can teach his children through various circumstances.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, please use our marriage for your Glory.
Re: 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 [Principles for Marriage] [message #829 is a reply to message #828] Tue, 25 February 2020 21:39 Go to previous message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
30a40e6f

Observation
Paul is very transparent and clear about having sexual relationship with other woman than one's wife. This is exactly opposite to what this world is going through right now so we should be very careful and clear in our act.
We always think that we have authority over oursef but for Married people verse 4 clearly shows only our spouse have the authority over our body. Paul talks clearly about the human psychology that even though we are Godly people we need to be connected with our spouse all the time and not staying away for longer time.
Even if one's spouse is a unbeleiver that should not be reason for parting from his/her spouse.

Application
What i want my wife to do to me i need to do the same thing to my wife. In no way one is higher than another so we need to respect each other.

Prayer
Lord help me to stay away from immorality. Help me to love my spouse as Christ loved the church

Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 [Flee Sexual Immorality]
Next Topic: 1 Corinthians 7:17-24 [Live as You Are Called]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:29:26 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.41729 seconds