HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » [1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial ( [1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial)
[1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial [message #841] Mon, 18 May 2020 09:35 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the [a]seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 My defense to those who examine me is this: 4 Do we have no [b]right to eat and drink? 5 Do we have no right to take along [c]a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working? 7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?

8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain." Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?

Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel [d]of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 May 2020 09:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial [message #842 is a reply to message #841] Tue, 19 May 2020 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the [a]seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 My defense to those who examine me is this: 4 Do we have no [b]right to eat and drink? 5 Do we have no right to take along [c]a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working? 7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?

8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain." Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?

Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel [d]of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Observation:
Paul was claiming about his apostleship and his free will as like other humans.
If he take care of spritual needs of corinthians then they have to take care of the material needs of paul. shepard - sheep
God said everyone has to reap the benefits of their work to live and sustain.
God told who preaches the gospel should live from the gospel. If they do gopel as their work how will they meet their worldly needs ?
All of us should preach the gospel. Its our duty. If not we should support whom preaches the gospel to make sure that our greatest reward is in heaven.

Analysis:
We should seed our work and expect the yield in gods eternal kingdom
Even Paul was questioned by corinthians he has no expectations, and in between his troubles he is willing to continuing his apostleship
We should realize our highest duty in this world is to spread gospel to everyoneas jesus did.
We should not expect rewards in this world and be sure to get it in heaven.
We should not make any accuse on gods workers. God will take care of that. Our job is to support them to do gods work.

Luke 10;7

7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

Prayer
Lord give us a heart to uphold your ministries throught out of our life. And also involve in your ministries.
Re: [1 Corinthians 9:1-17] A self Pattern of Self Denial [message #843 is a reply to message #842] Tue, 19 May 2020 21:30 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:

1) Paul never abused any church because of his Apostolic authority.
Even though he deserves financial benefit but he didn't expect (or) ask Corinthians church to support his ministry. He considers them as his own spiritual children and hence he wants to preach without any burden for them.

At Corinth, as per Acts 18:3, he worked with Aquila and Priscilla as tent makers to support himself.
When Paul was talking to Ephesian elders, he remembered how during his three years ministry work in Ephesus, how he worked not only for his necessities but also for those who were with him [Acts 20:31-34]

At Thesslonica, Paul talked about his labor and toil for day and night so he might not be a burden and set himself as an example for the gospel of God. [1 Thess 2:9 / 2 Thess 3:7-9]

2) Paul wants to present gospel without charge and his priority is to preach the gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:16,18, states that woe is to him if he do not preach gospel and when Paul preach the gospel, he may present the gospel of Christ without charge.

3) Paul received contributions from churches and from some individuals though
While he was in Corinth and Thessalonica, he was supplied by folks from Macedonia and philippi. [2 Corinthians 11:9 / Philippians 4:15-16]
Sister Phoebe helped Paul in Rome and Gaius and Philemon were hosting Paul during his ministries and journey. [Romans 16:2, 23] [Philemon 19, 22]

Application:
We should not be a burden to anyone while we work in His ministry and our Lord should be our only help. He is our present help in trouble and need [Psalm 46:1].
If any one volunteers to provide for our ministry, we should be in a position to accept as Paul did with others.
Also, we should live a minimal worldly life.Even though Paul had companions who traveled with him he provided for them.

Luke 10:8 says how Jesus asked his disciple to eat what is set before you by the hosts and do the ministry there.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, please help us to be self reliant for the gospel of Christ and trust in you always for our need. Just like Jesus and Father God has been working until now, help us to work hard for the kingdom of God [John 5:17]
Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians 8 [Be Sensitive to Conscience]
Next Topic: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 [Serving All Men]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:39:00 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04664 seconds