HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings (1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings)
1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings [message #868] Fri, 10 July 2020 19:59 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Head Coverings
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given [a]to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.
Re: 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings [message #869 is a reply to message #868] Tue, 14 July 2020 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripture:
- 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings
Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
Head Coverings
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given [a]to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

Observation:

Paul asked us to follow him becasue he followed jesus christ in his life
head of every man is Christ, the head of wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God, so we are part of christ
in the Lord neither is husband independent of wife, nor wife independent of husband, all are dependent in lorg god
woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but eventually all of us come are from God. So we respectful on each other.

Application:

we need to imitate christ in our life
our life has to be a testimony rather than our words for others to follow
we never ever try to dishonour our head, christ and lord god.

Prayer:

Lord god help us to be mindful to honour you lord, christ jesus and our spouse.
Re: 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings [message #870 is a reply to message #868] Tue, 14 July 2020 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS::
The concept of authority and submission originated out of creation and out of the nature of God; thus it remains valid in the new age of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when a woman does practice an activity that carries with it a measure of authority, she is to wear a symbol of being under authority. That is the purpose of the head covering. The particular issue of the text has to do with a custom that distinguished between a man publicly praying/prophesying and a woman praying/prophesying. In particular Paul is dealing with a situation in the Corinth Church in which women are not following the custom of the day by neglecting to wear some kind of head covering while they prophesied. That is the issue.

There was lot of controversies about woman head covering. But as a Christian, we should take as it is and follow our life. Tradition talk about Freedom and why woman only?
But we are not loosing anything because of covering head. We are still showing to the world that i am under authority and glorify God.

APPLICATION:
- We should follow the word of God and ask our self Am i doing this for my Pride or not?
-God has given order for us to live in this life.
-Jesus is head of our houses and House of God.
-Both Husband and Wife to bring Glory to him only.

Re: 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings [message #871 is a reply to message #870] Tue, 14 July 2020 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
Observation : Not many preachers will say follow me as i follow Christ. We would have seen great preaching by many people but very rarely we will see servants of God leading by example. So its a great example set by Paul so we should not only preach the gospel but be a living example for the people who want to follow Jesus Christ. When we read that Woman should submit to Man that doesn't mean Men are superior and Women are not rather we should compare the sample of the relationship between Jesus and the Father, where Jesus submitted himself to God so we should follow the principles set specifically for Men and Women and we should show that discipline and be an example to others

Application : We need to be an example to others in all aspects of our life. Both Men and Women are equal before God but still follow the discipline laid out in the Bible
Re: 1 Corinthians [11:1-16] Head Coverings [message #872 is a reply to message #871] Tue, 14 July 2020 21:49 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:

1) Keeping Godly traditions [teachings] according to our hearts
Paul and early church apostles establish new teachings / instructions / traditions according to the leading of Holy Spirit and to bring order in the church. We should take that into our hearts and do it in the conscience of our spirits but not in just a mere ritualistic and legalistic nature. Some churches do have washing of one another feet during communion, wearing white clothes but we should exhibit that kind of behavior as the act of symbolism to our humbleness towards one another. We should follow the teachings of Apostles to edify one another but not to get into contentious arguments.

2) We are one in Christ
We are one in Christ regarding salvation but there are some orders that our Lord established in Church regarding our calling and the positional authorities just like God the Father being the head of Christ. Similarly, there is a verse we know that whoever sees Christ sees Father [John 14:9] and hence they are equal in nature but different in personal functions.
Anything that helps us to exhibit humbleness, submissiveness, love then we should do that in whole heartedness. [Paul don't want this to be contentious in the church]

3) Paul started by saying that all his teachings are based on being the imitator of Christ.
We should not be so hard on insisting traditions and similarly we should not be rebellious in following non-essential things from the word of God. But, we should not be compromised to absolute truth like divinity of Christ.

Application:
Whatever we do and follow we do that for the Lord. [Colossians 3:23-24] We are all one in Christ as every knee should bow at the coming of our Lord. [Galatians 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, as we are one in Christ Jesus.]

Prayer:
Dear Lord, help us to do everything to glorify Your name. So, whether we eat or drink or whatever we do, do it all for the glory of God. [1 Corinthians 10:31]
Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians 10:23-33 [All to the Glory of God]
Next Topic: [1 Corinthians 11:17-33] - Lord's Supper
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:42:11 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07633 seconds