HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues] (1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues])
1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues] [message #888] Tue, 18 August 2020 22:02 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
14 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; [a]for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Tongues Must Be Interpreted
6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching? 7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played? 8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without [b]significance. 11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a [c]foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me. 12 Even so you, since you are [d]zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the [e]edification of the church that you seek to excel.

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Tongues a Sign to Unbelievers
20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.

21 In the law it is written:

"With men of other tongues and other lips
I will speak to this people;
And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,"

says the Lord.

22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are [f]out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 [g]And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

Order in Church Meetings
26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for [h]edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of [i]confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

34 Let [j]your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

36 Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached? 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But [k]if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues] [message #889 is a reply to message #888] Tue, 25 August 2020 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS::

Paul teaches about two features of the worship service in Corinth tongues and prophecy and discusses their value or importance. Spiritual Gifts: 1) varied. 2) come from God. 3) The gifts are to help others / help the church.
-So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers,- Ephesians 4:11
- Tongue edifies individual and prophesies edifies the church
-Tongues must be interpreted
- Tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe
-God is not the author of [i]confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints (More Prophets)
- All these gifts given to us as free of gift and it was not earned by someone. So we should not be proud of the gifts.

APPLICATIONS

- We should seek for Spiritual gifts from God.
- We should use them for Personal and Church edification.
- Christ is the source for all gifts and we should rely on him for each gifts

Re: 1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues] [message #890 is a reply to message #888] Tue, 25 August 2020 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripts:
1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues]

Observation:
Paul asked us to desire spiritual gifts after possessing love.
Spiritual gifts are given for benefits for all not just for individuals.

Acts 19:6
When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

Tongues are sign for unbelievers; prophesying is for believers.

2 Peter 1:20,21
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation of things.
For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Prophecy is not just about the future it is about God's revelation.

He who prophesies comfort church but he who speaks in tongues edifies himself. Everbody can understand prophecy. But the tongue can understandable only when it gets interpreted. So paul emphasizes prophecy than the tongue.

instruments can convey distinct feel or messages to others, in that way we humans should convey the exact messages to others.

We should use spiritual gifts appropriate to the situations and the audience. Our actions should please our god.
we should be praying and singing not only with the holy spirit but also with great understanding.
Also, we have to mature in spiritual gifts day by day.

Application:
we should desire for spiritual gifts, like prophecy and tongues
Tongues must be interpreted, clearly communicated to others. so others can grow in faith.
the church has to grow using spiritual gifts. We should also have fruits of the spirit to effectively use spiritual gifts in our life.

Prayer
Lord bless us with spiritual gifts and fruits of the spirit.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues] [message #891 is a reply to message #890] Tue, 25 August 2020 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
1. Love, Prophecy and Tongues [1 Corinthians 14:1,18,39]
We must seek and pursue Love, Tongues [self-edification] and Prophecy [Church Edification] in that order so we will be ready for the kingdom of God and equip others also to it.

2. Working Usage [Operations] of Prophecy Vs. Tongues
One who speaks in tongues in church environment might not be helpful for others who hear because no one understands what he speaks. Hence interpretation is required to build up / edify fellow people in church. We ought to speak in tongues for our own edification in our own setting / environment.
One who speaks prophecy the words of understanding will help convict (or) comfort those who hear thus edifying the church.

3. Order of exercising Spiritual gifts.
Paul request the church to have 2 or 3 people prophecy one at a time so all may learn and encourage. Also spirit of the prophets should be subject to the person who prophesies so there should not be anything done out of control.
1 Samuel 19:9,23,24 - Distressing spirit from the Lord came upon Saul, as he sat with his spear in his hand to pin God's anointed man "David" to the wall.
But after some days, 23, Then the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on and prophesied until he came to Naioth in Ramah. 24, And he also stripped off his clothes and prophesied before Samuel in like manner and lay down naked all that day and all that night.
We are just a vessel for Lord to fill us to edify others and it must be orderly and be subject to prophets.

4. Forbidding woman to prophecy / speak to all in Church setting.
1 Cor. 14:34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.
But in Acts 21:9, it talks about Philip's virgin daughters who prophesied. But Paul got word from a certain prophet named Agabus who revealed to Paul what would happen to him in Jerusalem in a church setting.
Also, in 1 Timothy 2:12, we see "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence."

Application:
We should seek love [anointing of Love], faith and then all spiritual gifts including tongues and prophecy for the glory of our Lord. Above all we should do the will of God no matter what kind of gifts we have as that only guarantees our eternal life. [Matthew 7:21-22 21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!']

Also, we should know false prophets by their fruits. [Matthew 7:15 / Matthew 12:27] because even hypocrites like Pharisees was able to cast out demons. [Luke 10:20 - Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven."]

Prayer:
Please help us to do your will and fill us with your love and enable us to exercise all spiritual gifts for your glory.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 [Prophecy and Tongues] [message #892 is a reply to message #888] Tue, 25 August 2020 21:51 Go to previous message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
Observation :
Paul talks about talking in tongues and Prophecy which are the spiritual gifts. Tongue is primarily for self edification rather Prophecy is for others so each gift has its own purpose and function. Again not everyone will have all the gifts which is what Paul talks about in Chapter 12.
Even in today's church people who are not talking in tongues are seemed to be less holy than one who speaks in tongues which doesn't seem to align with the scripture.

Application :
Ask God to use us for his Glory and none of the gifts which God gives should not lead us to pride but rather to edify ourself and others in the church
Previous Topic: 1 Corinthians 13 [The Greatest Gift - Love]
Next Topic: 1 Corinthians 15:1-28 [Risen Christ, Faith's Reality]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:47:09 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.59977 seconds