HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness] (2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness])
2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness] [message #916] Tue, 20 October 2020 22:04 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
2 But I determined this within myself, that I would not come again to you in sorrow. 2 For if I make you sorrowful, then who is he who makes me glad but the one who is made sorrowful by me?

Forgive the Offender
3 And I wrote this very thing to you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow over those from whom I ought to have joy, having confidence in you all that my joy is the joy of you all. 4 For out of much [a]affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not that you should be grieved, but that you might know the love which I have so abundantly for you.

5 But if anyone has caused grief, he has not grieved me, but all of you to some extent--not to be too severe. 6 This punishment which was inflicted by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7 so that, on the contrary, you ought rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow. 8 Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. 9 For to this end I also wrote, that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things. 10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For [b]if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.
Re: 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness] [message #917 is a reply to message #916] Tue, 27 October 2020 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATION:

- The problem might have been the sexual offender who Paul mentioned in the beginning of his first letter. Another possibility is that an individual or a group within the Corinthian church questioned Paul's authority and his theology.
-When someone hurts us, there is a temptation to respond by hurting them. Rather than strike back, Paul forgave and put others first. Paul wanted to visit the Corinthians, but he did not want to cause them pain
-One of the stand-out tenets of the Christian faith is that it is not "I centered," but rather it is "other focused.
-Paul was always a teacher. He used every opportunity he could to help others grow in their lives as disciples/followers of Jesus. Paul has forgiven the person or persons who injured him. Now he instructs the Corinthian church to forgive the individual as well.
-Paul then tells the Corinthians that the punishment inflicted on the person was enough. Punishment was never meant to be an act of revenge. The goal of punishment was always to restore and renew the relationship.
-Members of the community can forgive one another when needed and they can continue to grow in their walk with Jesus by encouraging each other. Their forgiveness has freed them for service.

APPLICATIONS:
- We always need to put Others first and helping them to grow.
- We need to encourage one another and forgive one another every time.
- Don't give the devil any opportunity to work.- Ephesians 4:27
Re: 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness] [message #918 is a reply to message #916] Tue, 27 October 2020 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripts:

2 But I determined this within myself, that I would not come again to you in sorrow. 2 For if I make you sorrowful, then who is he who makes me glad but the one who is made sorrowful by me?

Forgive the Offender
3 And I wrote this very thing to you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow over those from whom I ought to have joy, having confidence in you all that my joy is the joy of you all. 4 For out of much [a]affliction and anguish of
heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not that you should be grieved, but that you might know the love which I have so abundantly for you.

5 But if anyone has caused grief, he has not grieved me, but all of you to some extent--not to be too severe. 6 This punishment which was inflicted by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7 so that, on the contrary, you ought
rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow. 8 Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. 9 For to this end I also wrote, that I might put you to the test, whether you are
obedient in all things. 10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For [b]if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we
are not ignorant of his devices.

Observation:

when we sin it brings sorrow not only to us but also to our church. So we live our life out of sin.
As Christians, we are ready to forgive the sinner (not sin) and give him the opportunity to realize his mistake and repent himself.
By showing the love of christ we can show that we punished him just because we hate his sin not him.
So we should be ready to forgive the offender and comfort him in christ rather than punish him and put him in sorrow.
Also, we should allow him to come back to church. We don't want him to be punished instead we want him to repent. But if anyone not ready to repent should be sent out of the church.
When we forgive we do it for Christ when we don't it gives an advantage to satan and also we become sinners as we did not follow what christ asked us to do.

John 8:7
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let anyone of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

Application:

Forgive the offender and showcase the love of christ
we need to forgive one another and stand together for christ
we need to maintain love and holiness inside the church means inside us

Prayer

Lord forgive our sins and give us the heart to forgive others.
Re: 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness] [message #919 is a reply to message #918] Tue, 03 November 2020 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:
1) Pauls' abundant love to Corinthians was being addressed in the earlier part of this chapter. 2 Corinthians 12:14,15 says, And I will not be burdensome to you; for I do not seek yours, but you. For the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved.

Paul treat Corinthians church as spiritual children. [For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel]
Paul portrays the balance way of approaching things when dealing with church disciplinary actions towards brethren.

2) Paul wants church to forgive the offender after that person went through disciplinary action by the church. Jesus talks about forgiveness towards ones' brother in Matthew 18:21,22 Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Jesus forgave Peter even though he denied him 3 times by reaching out to him to reiterate his love for Jesus [John 21:15 - So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Feed My lambs."]

Application:
1) We should have the meekness and gentleness of Christ when dealing with body of church. [2 Corinthians 10:1a]. Also Jesus was so compassionate towards weak and feeble as mentioned in Isaiah 42:3 A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth.

2) When we come into His presence for prayer we have to forgive our brother as Jesus said in Mark 11:25, 25 "And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. 26 [d]But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Paul even testifies about Mark who left them in one of his missionary journey. [2 Timothy 4:11 - Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for ministry].
Re: 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 [Forgiveness] [message #920 is a reply to message #916] Tue, 03 November 2020 21:40 Go to previous message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
Observation :
Paul is talking about his state of mind when he wrote his first letter corinthians which is what we read in verse 4 "great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears". He's making his intentions clearly that he was writing with great burden which shows his true love for God. Other point he wants to make is about Forgiving someone who has caused grief to the church. As God did to prodigal son we need to forgive them that we will glorify God otherwise we will make Satan win which is what he has mentioned in verse 11

Application :
We need to have balance between grace and holiness and ready to forgive and should not let Satan win his scheme
Previous Topic: 2 Corinthians 1:12-24 [Paul's Testimony & Sparing of Church]
Next Topic: 2 Corinthians 2:12-17 [Triumph in Christ]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:25:03 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05417 seconds