HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority] (2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority])
2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority] [message #1118] Tue, 16 March 2021 22:52 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Now I, Paul, myself am pleading with you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ--who in presence am lowly among you, but being absent am bold toward you. 2 But I beg you that when I am present I may not be bold with that confidence by which I intend to be bold against some, who think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not [a]carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

Reality of Paul's Authority
7 Do you look at things according to the outward appearance? If anyone is convinced in himself that he is Christ's, let him again consider this in himself, that just as he is Christ's, even [b]so we are Christ's. 8 For even if I should boast somewhat more about our authority, which the Lord gave [c]us for [d]edification and not for your destruction, I shall not be ashamed-- 9 lest I seem to terrify you by letters. 10 "For his letters," they say, "are weighty and powerful, but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible." 11 Let such a person consider this, that what we are in word by letters when we are absent, such we will also be in deed when we are present.

Limits of Paul's Authority
12 For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. 13 We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us--a sphere which especially includes you. 14 For we are not overextending ourselves (as though our authority did not extend to you), for it was to you that we came with the gospel of Christ; 15 not boasting of things beyond measure, that is, in other men's labors, but having hope, that as your faith is increased, we shall be greatly enlarged by you in our sphere, 16 to preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's sphere of accomplishment.

17 But "he who glories, let him glory in the Lord." 18 For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends.
Re: 2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority] [message #1119 is a reply to message #1118] Tue, 23 March 2021 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Observation:

Paul is asking to
Be submissive, humble and gentle as like Christ, also keep yourself obedience and lowly
Also be bold and confident when ministering god
Though we are of flesh our warfare is not of worldly weapons. we get our strength from god for spiritual war.
Lord gave authority us for edification and not for destruction
Paul not only wants his letters are powerful also wants physical presence and his speech should be strong and powerful
do not boasting of things beyond measure, but boast yourself in god within the measure
Do not compare with in yourselves. Have hope and faith so we can increase in god.

Romans 5:11
Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Application:

glory in the Lord, do not boast yourself
In god pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and bringing every thought into captivity and punish all disobedience
Re: 2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority] [message #1120 is a reply to message #1118] Tue, 23 March 2021 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS

Paul compares himself (or contrast) with the false preachers. Keep in mind that Paul is having to defend his ministry because of false reports and rumors. What do we discover about Paul with regards to a genuine preacher?

Right motives -

He was motivated by God and good not greed. "Jealousy" = affection, love. He's like a father caring for his family. He wanted the best for them. He was not "cunning" or "crafty". He has one goal that is bring the truth to the church.

Right message (4-5): The Corinthians had received false teachers and followed false leadership. They paid more attention to the messenger than the message. They preached a different Jesus, different spirit and a different gospel. Paul's message focused solely on the Saviour.

Right attitude about money (7-11): Every preacher faces three great dangers power, women, and money! Paul was very careful about all three. He believed a preacher had the right to be paid (I Cor. 9:13), yet he chose to support himself by tentmaking. The irony here is that Paul had preached the true gospel for free while the false preachers peddled a false gospel for profit.

Right mentality (12-15): This is one of Paul's most stinging rebukes (v.13). He took a militant stance.

While the false preachers carried a long list of recommendations from church leaders (resumes you know), Paul just listed his credentials.

APPLICATIONS:
He is a great example for believers and church leaders
- They way he wrote the letter that he has confident that he lived as per word of God
-We are living in sinful world, we need to live according to the word and overcome all the temptations during our life.
- We need to bring glory to Jesus only and it will be the only focus in our life
Re: 2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority] [message #1121 is a reply to message #1120] Tue, 23 March 2021 21:30 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:
Jesus said that He is gentle and humble[lowly] in heart [Matthew 11:29]. Similarly, Paul pleading with Corinthians in the same manner of meekness and gentleness of Christ. Paul is a true disciple who practices the teachings and the life of Christ.
Paul distinguishes the identity of fleshly outward appearance and Spirit nature. Corinthians considered Paul's letter as bold, but his physical appearance / presence is weak considering his body in flesh. Our war is not with flesh and blood [Ephesians 6:12] but against principalities and authorities against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places.

James also mentioned in his letter, James 3:9 not to curse humans who have been made in the likeness of God. We have an enemy as defined in 1 Peter 5:8, Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Spiritual Authority

Lord has provided the Spiritual gifts and in turn authority to edify the church. As in 2 Corinthians 10:8 says, for even if I should boast somewhat more about our authority, which the Lord gave us for edification and not for your destruction. 1 Corinthians 14:12, So you too, since you are eager to possess spiritual gifts, strive to excel for the edification of the church.

Lord has provided us the sphere of authority over certain people (or) areas / locations as described in 2 Corinthians 10:13 We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us--a sphere which especially includes you. We also boast and take pride in glory of the LORD.

Application:
We should not have anything that associate with devil and be like Christ who for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me. [John 14:10]
Jesus teaches us how not to entrust in men's testimony but to look from commendation (or) appreciation from Lord. [John 2:24,25] If at all we need to compare ourselves with someone we should compare with Christ and we should look unto Jesus and run our race. [Hebrews 12:1-2]

Paul preaches what he practices and his spiritual letter is inline with his deeds in flesh. [1 Thessalonians 1:5 - For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.]
Previous Topic: 2 Corinthians 9 [Cheerful Giving]
Next Topic: 2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:07:55 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07417 seconds