HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » 2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles] (2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles])
2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles] [message #1122] Wed, 24 March 2021 01:02 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
11 Oh, that you would bear with me in a little folly--and indeed you do bear with me. 2 For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the [a]simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted--you may well put up with it!

Paul and False Apostles
5 For I consider that I am not at all inferior to the most eminent apostles. 6 Even though I am untrained in speech, yet I am not in knowledge. But we have [b]been thoroughly manifested among you in all things.

7 Did I commit sin in [c]humbling myself that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8 I robbed other churches, taking wages from them to minister to you. 9 And when I was present with you, and in need, I was a burden to no one, for what I lacked the brethren who came from Macedonia supplied. And in everything I kept myself from being burdensome to you, and so I will keep myself. 10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no one shall stop me from this boasting in the regions of Achaia. 11 Why? Because I do not love you? God knows!

12 But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. 13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.
Re: 2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles] [message #1123 is a reply to message #1122] Tue, 30 March 2021 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS :
Essentially, Paul had decided that he had to lower himself to the level of boasting, which he considered foolishness. He clearly did not do this for the purpose of building himself up, but he did it because he was forced to defend his credentials. He had to convince the Corinthians of his worthiness to be trusted, to be listened to. He had to compare his own ministry with that of the false apostles who had infected the Corinthian church with false doctrine. Inevitably, Paul knew, that speaking about himself like this would seem like foolish boasting.

Matthew 24:4 Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. The immediate context of this passage is Jesus' warning about the end times, and the many false prophets who would lead people astray. But seen in the light of the many other warnings about deception, Paul knew that Jesus' words: "watch out that no one deceives you," could be taken as a warning for every kind of deception.

Romans 16:17-18 I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of native people.

You know what Paul was saying? Paul was saying to the Corinthians, why would you listen to these guys? Why don't you listen to me? Haven't I earned that much? In verse 4, he appeals to the welcome they gave visitors who came proclaiming a message other than the gospel that they had embraced, the gospel that brought them salvation.

APPLICATIONS:
- We need to present as virgin to Christ and look for the lead who can lead us in his path
- We need to carefully examined false Apostles and and their teaching and get away from them
- Every actions and deeds should reflect and exalt Jesus Christ alone

Re: 2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles] [message #1124 is a reply to message #1122] Tue, 30 March 2021 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
SCRIPTURE
2 Corinthians 11:1-15
Faithfulness and False Apostles

1 Oh, that you would bear with me in a little folly--and indeed you do bear with me. 2 For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the [a]simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted--you may well put up with it!

Paul and False Apostles
5 For I consider that I am not at all inferior to the most eminent apostles. 6 Even though I am untrained in speech, yet I am not in knowledge. But we have [b]been thoroughly manifested among you in all things.

7 Did I commit sin in [c]humbling myself that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8 I robbed other churches, taking wages from them to minister to you. 9 And when I was present with you, and in need, I was a burden to no one, for what I lacked the brethren who came from Macedonia supplied. And in everything I kept myself from being burdensome to you, and so I will keep myself. 10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no one shall stop me from this boasting in the regions of Achaia. 11 Why? Because I do not love you? God knows!

12 But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. 13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

OBSERVATION

Don't be deceived, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness

Colossians 2
8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

Beware of some one preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted.

1 John 4
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Beware of false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ.

Galatians 1
8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

APPLICATION

Preached the gospel of God to others free of charge
Humbling ourself and god might be exalted,
Be faithful to god. Even though you are untrained in speech, not good in knowledge god will thoroughly manifested among us.
And the end will be according to our works.

PRAYER

God keep us faithful and kep us away from deceptive nature of this world.
Re: 2 Corinthians 11:1-15 [Faithfulness and False Apostles] [message #1125 is a reply to message #1124] Tue, 30 March 2021 21:29 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:

Paul presents church as the chaste virgin betrothed to Jesus which is similar to How Lord saw Israel in old covenant. [Isaiah 54:5, For your Maker is your husband, The Lord of hosts is His name; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; ] Lord brought us into the marriage covenant and He addressed Israel as "Return, O backsliding children," says the Lord; "for I am married to you. [Jeremiah 3:14]
Even Apostle John in his letter [2 John 1:9-10], If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;

Paul talks about his weakness in oratory skills while still boasting in knowledge of LORD. He also talked about presenting the Gospel in free of charge to others even though it cost him his very own life. Paul even calls Lord to testify of his love towards His church.

Paul warned them about false teachers and doctrines and watched them on their works all their life to the end for discernment.

Application:
So, our Lord is a jealous God [for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God - Exodus 34:14] If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. [Luke 14:26]

Even though Judas started his ministry well as an apostle of Christ, but he was not able to live a life of godliness through the end as described in Acts 1:17 for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry." 18 (Now this man purchased a field with the [g]wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his [h]entrails gushed out. We should know them by their fruits to distinguish them from false teachers /apostles.

Apostle John also talked about spirit of Anti-Christ in in 1 John 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess [a]that Jesus [b]Christ has come in the flesh is not of God.
Previous Topic: 2 Corinthians 10 [Spiritual Warfare and Authority]
Next Topic: 2 Corinthians 11:16-32 [Suffering for Christ]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:18:38 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07865 seconds