HIPM Forum
HIPM Forum

Home » Bible Study » Men's Bible Study » James 2:1-13 [Personal Favoritism] (James 2:1-13 [Personal Favoritism])
James 2:1-13 [Personal Favoritism] [message #1199] Tue, 23 November 2021 22:00 Go to next message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Beware of Personal Favoritism
2 My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. 2 For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in [a]fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in [b]filthy clothes, 3 and you [c]pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," 4 have you not [d]shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? 7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?

8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; 9 but if you [e]show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
Re: James 2:1-13 [Personal Favoritism] [message #1200 is a reply to message #1199] Tue, 30 November 2021 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohandoss is currently offline  mohandoss
OBSERVATIONS:

-The unity and openness of the early church was an astonishment to the ancient world. But this unity didn't come automatically. As this command from James shows, the apostles had to teach the early church to never hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ ... with partiality.
- A significant aspect of the work of Jesus was to break down these walls that divided humanity, and to bring forth one new race of mankind in Him (Ephesians 2:14-15).
-Poors are 'chosen' to be rich in faith because the poor of this world simply have more opportunities to trust God. Therefore they may be far more rich in faith than the rich man.
-When we choose people by what we can see on the surface, we miss the mind of God. Remember that Judas appeared to be much better leadership material than Peter.
-For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called 1 Corinthians 1:26:
-If you show partiality, you commit sin: The problem isn't that you are nice to the rich. The problem is that you show partiality to the rich, and are not nice to the poor man! So you can't excuse your partiality by saying, "I'm just fulfilling the command to love my neighbor as myself."

APPLICATIONS:
- We always reflect Character of Jesus in our life
- We should not show partiality among people
-we are all One Body and respect and love one another
-we should be poor in spirit and trust in the lord for each and every needs
Re: James 2:1-13 [Personal Favoritism] [message #1201 is a reply to message #1199] Tue, 30 November 2021 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpchellaa is currently offline  cpchellaa
Scripts:
Beware of Personal Favoritism
2 My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. 2 For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in [a]fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in [b]filthy clothes, 3 and you [c]pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," 4 have you not [d]shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? 7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?

8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; 9 but if you [e]show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Observation:

Our faith should be true and fullness
Do not show partiality between rich and poor. That is evil.
Though they are poor they may be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom
but rich people are usually oppress and trouble others
So You shall love your neighbor as yourself, if you show partiality, you commit sin
Mercy triumphs over judgment. The one who has shown no mercy receive his judgment without mercy.

Proverbs 22:2
Rich and poor have this in common: The Lord is the Maker of them all.

Application:

You shall love your neighbor as yourself
love god true to your heart

Prayer:

lord god help us to love you and love others
Re: James 2:1-13 [Personal Favoritism] [message #1202 is a reply to message #1201] Tue, 07 December 2021 20:06 Go to previous message
john.svk is currently offline  john.svk
Observation:

1) We should look the way the Lord looks at His people irrespective of social and economic statuses. James here talks about the partiality regarding the economic status of the person. Exodus 23:3 and Leviticus 19:15 talks about the partiality against poor people in dispute and judgement. It also talks about how to honor everyone however the way they are created and lived.

2) When Lord Jesus talks about the love for unlovable and enemies in Matthew 5:44-48, For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your [p]brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the [q]tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Application:

We should not prejudge and look down on any one who are created in the image of God. We should ask for Godly discernment, wisdom in the need of justice.

We should be perfect in everything that God required of.

Luke 6:36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. / 1 Peter 1:15 says, Be Holy for I am holy
Previous Topic: James 1:19-27 [Doers of Word]
Next Topic: James 2:14-26 [Faith without works is Dead]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:53:58 ADT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03249 seconds